Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Great Chili Debalce

Monday - In an attempt to expand the limits of my grilled fish/chicken diet I have been formulating a veggie based, but non-vegetarian chili. Monday I ran up one of my biggest grocery bills ever buying ingredients as well as my standard groceries. By the time I got home and unloaded everything it was too late to even think about starting the chili. My actually dinner was spinach salad, frozen french fries, and a flank steak that had been in my freezer way too long. Fell asleep during first half hour of "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Tuesday - Worked late, and then had to run back to the store for some vital missing ingredients and rubber gloves for which to handle the habeneros. But thought I could get some good prep work in. Cheese was grated. Cilantro was chopped. Macaroni was boiled. Dinner was pork lo mein. Finished watching "Mockingbird." Side note: finally bought the Regina Spektor album. She is the ginchiest.

Wednesday - Had to get my hair cut. (There is a stage between crew cut and growing your hair back in when, much like Fleetwood Mac, each individual hair wants to go its own way. No amount of styling gel, pomade or butch wax can intervene. So it had to be done.) The ground beef was only in the fridge so I the plan was to at least get that browned. I know, I know I should use chuck, but I wanted to limit the meat, remember? And if you know that much about chili, you already can tell that I don't.

That went pretty quickly, so I moved onto the vegetables. As I am chopping my sister calls. She has not been in my good graces lately, and this call did nothing to correct that. She was calling about plans for a family wedding in June, but kept loosing her signal. Despite me explaining that it was 8:30 and I still hadn't eaten she kept calling back. So I kept chopping while we talked (read: she talked.) I was so far along I had to finish up. I surgically chopped the habeneros and peeled two bulbs of garlic. And when I put everything together it was sickeningly sweet! ..2..3..4 and there's the habenero! So there is no spicy, just hot. It is just flat. All this time and money and it is a slightly zesty beef vegetable stew that will eat the lining of your stomach the next day. I can already feel the few spoonfuls I had while tasting it last night. I had vanilla yogurt for "dinner."

Thursday - After some professional consultation, I am of the opinion that the chili may still have hope. So tonight I will bake the Jiffy cornnbread muffins whilst I doctor my ailing concoction. I will prep with some Zantac, and hopefully have everything ready by the time "Scrubs" is on. One way or another, I am eating chili tonight.

2 comments:

pezda said...

Buffalo or bison (bison or buffalo), it's a great alternative to beef and much lower in fat. It's pricy if you can find it.

pezda said...

For a relatively quick Veggie-based meat chili try:
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground meat (turkey works well)
olive oil (just enough to cover bottom of pan
1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
1 (16 ounce) jar chunky salsa (Hotness depends on how hot you like)
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder (if you like spicy you will need more)
1 (8 ounce) package shredded mild cheddar cheese
sour cream (optional)

Directions:
1. Put Olive Oyl in pan, brown meat of choice
2. Mix tomatoes, salsa, beans, corn, zucchini and chili powder in saucepan. Bring to boil on medium-high heat.
3. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes.
4. Sprinkle cheese onto bottom of each serving bowl to cover; top with chili. Sprinkle each with additional 2 tablespoons cheese and dollop of cream cheese