Thursday, March 22, 2007

Search for the Funniest Movie Ever

Candidate #2: VOLUNTEERS

Pros: There was a time when Tom Hanks wasn't arrogant except in character. Plus he actually married Rita Wilson, and they haven't gotten divorced! This movie also features John Candy in a brilliant supporting role. Steals from the following classic movies with knowing nods: Casablanca, Bridge Over the River Kwai, and Lawrence of Arabia. Star Wars geek note: the actress who plays Lucille (Rucirre) is named Shakti.

Favorite Quote: "In two weeks, I'll have this place looking like Pittsburgh."

Cons: More racial humor than necessary, even for a 60's piece. No frontal nudity. Poor pacing and a voice over denouement.

Is this the funniest movie ever? No. But it is funny. Probably funnier than you would give it credit for even.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

funniest movie ever??? difficult to say, as i have noticed that even the funniest seem to lose some of their potency over time. dr. strangelove, fear of a black hat, and clerks to name a few!

Evil Genius said...

Well, I thought I would be able to milk this for a few more posts before someone caught the obvious flaw in my plan. And I was certain it would be EGEG naively pointing these facts out in a good natured observation. But yes, Jean Luc, there is no such thing as the funniest movie ever. And your reason above, the shelf life of a comedy, is one of the main reasons. And you have indirectly pointed out the other major reason - subjectivity. I would never put Fear of a Black Hat in consideration (honestly don't know many who would,) but I know this is one of you favorites. And my personal biases are just as subjective.

So if this topic resurfaces it will be greatly revised in a non-Grant-Miller format and with the subjectivity of the exercise made clearer.

Anonymous said...

With the above in mind, I can conclusively say that the funniest movie ever is, with out a doubt, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong and ignorant. And ugly.

Prophet of Pwnage said...

Ok fine I'm sorry I called you ugly.

Evil Genius said...

Dear Prophet:

No offense taken. I was just under the impression no one was interested in this post!

regards,
-EG