Friday, April 06, 2007

I'm done doing things the hard way...

First, I would like to announce the end of The Insomnia Chronicles. I had to see it through to the end, but there are none left to post. Thank you for indulging me.

Next, let the trumpets blare and let the lions roar, cause I'm back on the sauce! I still have a half pound of Intelligentsia "Black Cat" blend coffee in my freezer that I will pull out to celebrate with. At this moment sighs of relief are being exhaled in Columbia, Sumatra, Kenya, Java, Ethiopia, Brazil, Guatemala, Costa Rica and wherever fine coffees are sold.

While I'm at it, let me give you an update on the car situation. You may remember that I was driving a Nissan that reeked of disinfectant. After a few days, the disinfectant wore off and the smell underneath surfaced. It was a complex melange of cigarettes, sour milk, and wet dog all still with the undertones of unsuccessful masking with artificial pine. So when I started driving around with the windows down I realized the fan belt was squealing. So I traded that in on my third rental car, the Kia. I would never buy this car (after all it is a cheaper version of a Hyundai. Process that for a moment. Got it? OK,) but for a rental it is wonderful. And I should be back in Black Beauty by the end of next week.

Lastly let me comment on the picture. This is a great metaphor for my life. This guy obviously had the brilliant idea to "spin" tapes. He then had to go to the trouble of building his own equipment to do this. If you look, he even has little white plastic discs so he can "scratch." And if he is this serious about it, I am guessing he has the talent to make it sound good too. And if you didn't see him working you would assume he was spinning records or CD's like any other DJ. And how many people do you think even appreciated the effort or the genius behind it? So why even bother? On the upside, he did get to play at a venue with a plastic checkered tablecloth and some beautiful ugly retro wallpaper (assuming it is retro and not just old.)

No comments: