Monday, July 23, 2007

Burry Me Beneath the Sod Where the Rivers All Run Dry

I was requested by Flannery Alden from the Beer Blog to submit a list of 12 songs to be played at my funeral. I posted as a comment there and on the post below, but have now upgraded (hard for me to spell that word correctly now) it to a post of its own.


My funeral mix:

1. Asleep – The Smiths
2. Elegia – New Order
3. God Moving Over the Face of the Waters – Moby
4. John the Revelator – Son House
5. Swing Low Sweet Chariot – Paul Robeson
6. Amazing Grace – Aretha Franklin
7. How Great Thou Art – Elvis Aaron Presley
8. What a Wonderful World – Joey Ramone
9. I Am the Resurrection – The Stone Roses
10. The Wings of a Dove – Madness
11. When the Saints Go Marching In – Louis Armstrong
12. Come on Get Happy! – Ella Fitzgerald

And so everyone is clear, the last song is not the Partridge Family theme, it is the one goes "Shout hallelujah, come on get happy. Get ready for the judgment day." Please note I will not accept the Judy Garland version of "Come On Get Happy" as the last song at my funeral. I was going to end it with Madness, but listening to it now that song sounds too much like the Gungan celebration song at the end of Episode I. I wouldn't want anyone to make that mistake.

I did not want to use "Wonderful World" at all, but the Joey Ramone version has a certain depth to it based on the fact he was dying of cancer at the time he recorded it. So it has to be his version and his version only. I also balance this out with The Stone Roses song which is blasphemous and fun, but if you're not paying attention it seems kinda religious.

The mix starts out somber (with the Smiths of course!) and just picks up from there. And I would want my friend J to mix this all down into a seamless blend and hand out CDs with a cover designed by Pezda.

And yes, Pezda, you'd better get working on it now. It is more than likely that despite clean-living, jeux de vive, and reason to live you will snuff it early due to your chronic...everything. While I sit on my fat ass drinking too much coffee, cursing my own existence with milk, cookies and a chess board ready for the Grim Reaper to arrive doomed to be endlessly mentioned year after year on August 31 by the grandson of Willard Scott and/or Al Roker on the Today Show weather while I throw my free jar of Smuckers at the screen.

16 comments:

GETkristiLOVE said...

I'd prefer the Blazing Saddles' version of Swing Low Sweet Chariot, but that's just me.

Evil Genius said...

See, now that would be an acceptable substitution. Perhaps even an improvement. Perhaps.

Will you wear black for me, Kristi?

Beth said...

Briliant list. I hope I can make it to your funeral to hear the playlist.

anandamide said...

Actually, now that you put the idea in my head, it would be pretty great to have the Partridge Family theme as the finale at your funeral...people would know you had a sense of humor.

GETkristiLOVE said...

I'd shave my head for you EG, but only if I could work that into my next Halloween costume.

J (Son et Lumiere) ... said...

you didn't know I was going out of town for a funeral this weekend did you? I got on tonight to write about the song played at the funeral I attended today and I saw what you wrote. Kind of creepy.

Evil Genius said...

Beth,

I am trying to hurry it along as best I can.

Anand,

If they couldn't glean that from the midgets(little people) on minibikes circling the grave site, then a TV theme certainly won't make the point.

Kristi,

Ripley?

J,

We also commented on each other's blogs at the same time.

-EG

Blowing Shit Up With Gas said...

What I like about the universe -- the almost cosmic synchronicity that rears its head from time to time. I keep a list of "future blog posts" in my email drafts file. There was one I was planning on posting TODAY about this exact subject -- music to be played at my own funeral. I'd not seen that meme before and actually believed that I thought it all up myself! I hadn't yet picked my tunes, though, although I specifically ruled out some (such as Funeral for a Friend by Elton John).

Grant Miller said...

Wise pick on the Stone Roses.

Evil Genius said...

Patrick,

Many freaky coincidences with this. Well, you'll have to post your list now. I am not sure why it is 12.

Flannery,

Why is it 12? How did you know Jason's uncle would die and Patrick was working on this? What kind of Wiccan priestess are you?

Grant,

For your funeral I would recommend "I Wanna Be Adored."

-Genius, Evil

Doc said...

I kinda thought you might get into this one. Great list. I hope I can have one of the funeral copies. I'll include it in my 10 disc box set that I'm selling in the lobby of my own funeral.

Doc

P.S. Bug Pezda. I want to see his list

Evil Genius said...

Doc,

Thanks. If you don't catch the funeral, I am sure you can pick up a bootleg copy.

-EG

p.s.
Roger. I'm on it.

pezda said...

Ok, ok, I'm working on it.

Dale said...

Such a great list Evil Genius. Now I want to amend mine, I may take the Partridge Family theme and work it in among some sound effects Doc suggested.

Tenacious S said...

I totally forgot about that Madness song. Good choice.

Evil Genius said...

Dale,

Will you have the people from the Bloom grocery store doing choreography to it?

Ten S,

Gracias. It naturally popped in my head when I started thinking about this. Thanks for popping in!

-EG