Sunday, August 12, 2007

What We Like About The Universe: Argyle

Evil Genius and I first bonded over argyle. We are knitted together by it's diamonds and X's. I'm not sure when it began for me, though I can never remember when I didn't love argyle. It's loveliness has only been reinforced for me through film and pop culture. Who can't love argyle after watching Brigadoone? Or having lived through the preppy years? If I could guess, I would think that Evil Genius likes argyle because of its precision of pattern and the infinite possibilities of color combinations.

Let's face it: Argyle is funky. It's fun. You can wear it with plaid. Wearing argyle says you dare to be different and don't care what anyone else thinks. Actually, we probably do care what other people think: We want to be seen as individuals and unique. Argyle socks say that about a person. And argyle sweaters say that even louder.

I'm sure Evil Genius and I share Scots blood and are both stirred by bagpipes, tartan, and Braveheart. Yes, I said Braveheart. Did you know I was a fan of this move before I started loathing Mel Gibson? I was moved by the soul-scream of Freedom. For a while, I had a short-lived tradition of watching this movie on Independence Day. That was before I discovered it was the violence driving MG and not a passion for story telling.

Probably, our common love of Guiness is also a reason we bond over argyle; after a few pints of Guiness, argyles look like a roadmap home.

Evil Genius note: For the requisite photo of me wearing argyle socks, please visit WILATU #51.

10 comments:

Evil Genius said...

Ah, the preppy years!

GETkristiLOVE said...

I've used that same roadmap home several times.

Blowing Shit Up With Gas said...

Funny, for a split second, I thought the text said, "Evil Genius and I first boned over argyle." Now, that'd be quite different.

Evil Genius said...

Shh! Don't tell Doc!

Phil said...

I love argyle too. I have many a V-neck sweater vest with argyle pattern.

Flan - How many blogs are you running now?

Big Orange said...

lettuce not forget that Mel is givin folken what they WANT: as noted, of all the Christ movies, HIS flick, the bloodiest and goriest ever, EVER produced, by far-and-away made the most $$$ AND got the most "this is the most important film I've ever seen" praise.

BLOWING SHIT UP: mmmm... boning!! you could bone on an argyle picnic throw and then bone UNDER it in the cold winter months!! it's perfect!!

PHIL: ask her nice and maybe she'll bone with YOU o'er something NEXT month!! :-}

pezda said...

Wait?!? Are we still talking about argyle?

Flannery Alden said...

Well, we were! I don't know what the hell happened here...

Flannery Alden said...

And Phil, I am running or involved in seven blogs. 4 active, 1 dying, and 2 virtually dead.

Dale said...

Argyle can be deadly on the wrong person though, just saying.