Monday, August 06, 2007

WILATU #38 - air conditioning

I detest the heat. And not just in that casual, "hot enough for ya?" kind of way. I hate the heat year round. I hate chewing on muggy air. I hate having clothes, and various body parts, stick to me. I hate not being able to mask my love handles with a nice loose sweater...

Air conditioning is one of the greatest human inventions. I mean, what did the cotton gin ever do for me? Air conditioning is beautiful. It is a wondrous thing that makes living good. Fish are jumping, and the cotton is high!
Remember these Evil Genius tips for added comfort and efficiency: A dehumidifier will save you on your electric bill. Be sure to change your filter and replace it with the correct size. If you have a "window shaker" pull the filter screen out and rinse it off. Ceiling and other fans can aid in circulation and reduce the amount of A/C you need. Setting temperatures between 72 and 70 degrees provides for an ideal comfort level, but a 10 degree differential from the outside air temperature is sufficient to create a dramatic temperature drop. An oversized unit does not provide "extra cooling." It will cycle on and off too frequently costing more in electricity and wear and tear. Check the BTU rating and see how many square feet it is rated to handle. And never try to make your own freon in your basement. Just don't. Trust me.

18 comments:

jin said...

"I hate having clothes, and various body parts, stick to me."

Heeeheheheeee...
You paint a vivid picture.

GETkristiLOVE said...

Another tip, move to a city 5,280' in altitude and take frequent trips to the mountains = all the free air conditioning you could ever want!

Evil Genius said...

As long as I don't Paint a Vulgar Picture, Jin.

Hey, Kristi. You know where else is cold at a really high elevation? The moon! One of these days...

Beth said...

Damn, child, are you a member of the electric utility industry, too?

anandamide said...

I'm being tortured. It's presently hot and humid in Anandamide headquarters and I hate the heat as much as you.

Luckily, we have central AC. Which my wife refuses to let me turn on. Because she hates...the smell.

Ouch.

Evil Genius said...

Beth,

No, ma'am. Just a concerned citizen.

Anand,

1. It gets hot in Canada?

2. The smell?

Ouch indeed.

-EG

Grant Miller said...

My wife hates it when it gets hot because I become a big crab ass.

Evil Genius said...

My solution is being a crab ass year-round. Maybe you should try this, Grant. Then she won't notice the difference.

Blowing Shit Up With Gas said...

Cold rules!!!

What a great post, right in the dog days... But, my office at work is, somehow, abotu 10 degrees colder than anyone else's. It's a glorious 50-something. The guy nextdoor wears a fleece pullover!!! In August!!! While work definitely sucks, I do appreciate the coldness.

I'll have to blog sometime about my trip to India in '94. You hate heat? DON'T GO TO THE SOUTHERN TIP OF INDIA!

Evil Genius said...

I lived in the southern tip of Indiana for 2 1/2 years. Lawrenceburg. I drank a lot.

anandamide said...

first of all, contrary to popular belief it does get hot in canada. like when you're in your ice fishing hut and you crank your propane heater up and close all the windows. you can really break a sweat.

and second, even though i'm born and raised in soviet canuckistan, anandamide towers (HQ for anandamide international) has been in Madison, WI for the past few years....

and yeah, it's the smell she objects to. i try to tell her that no matter how bad it smells, it smells better than i will after an hour in that sweat box. but apparently she prefers "the musk".

Big Orange said...

what's really funny is that pre-A/C architecture is coming back into vogue in new housing developments down here in FLA. for example, all the newer houses we looked at had peaked ceilings-- which both makes it LOOK bigger but also allows hot air to rise waaay up where no one is living.

As for sticky clothes-- that's why I don't wear any.

Evil Genius said...

Anandamide--ah, the smell of it! (I know Wisco gets hot. And welcome to the U.S. of A.)

I was interested in the arhiecture thing when you wrote about it. I think that is a great movement aesthetically, culturally and practically. Just as long as there is still mechanical cooling involved. Re: nakeditity, I am trying my best to block it.

pezda said...

Try living and working in the Arizona desert. Before air conditioning the population of Phoenix was 118. Now, (thanks entirely to A/C) there are nearly 4.5 million souls in the Phoenix metro area.

Of course A/C only helps if you are indoors. I worked outside for quite some time.

Evil Genius said...

Remember I timed my visit for January when you lived there. I am no fool.

BeckEye said...

I"m shifting back and forth right now because my legs keep sticking to the computer chair. Annoying. Damn global warming.

Evil Genius said...

I know what you mean, Beckeye. I am a big fan of global darkening, though.

Dale said...

I'm as cool as a cucumber.

Love,

Salad Days Dale