Sunday, December 16, 2007

WILATU #8- God

Certain people are incredulous that a learned man such as myself could still have faith in an archaic notion like a supreme being. Why do I believe in God? Science is fallible. Mystery is fun. This is more of a book than a post, but I'll give you this treatment in hopes of an advance.

Scientific method requires certain assumptions are made. Many of these are unwritten and understood. One of the unwritten assumptions is that God does not exist. This is for two reasons: 1. So you can't take the easy way out and use God as an explanation for unexpected results and 2. Because science and religion hold historic grudges against each other. I don't see either of these as necessary.

God is not an invisible man in the sky. God does not live in the sky or the distant realm of heaven, God is omnipresent. God the Father is not a man, She can be referred to in either gender but is definitely not an "it." God is an omnipotent entity comprised of three beings: God the Creator, God the Son (who just so happened to be a dude,) and God the Spirit.

God the Creator is an easy one. The universe started somewhere. The Big Bang and other models all create cyclical logic -A proton blinks into existence form another dimension and blinks out until it becomes stable and then starts accreting mass until a singularity is formed. Great. But where did that proton and the other dimension come from? Even if the universe is ever expanding and infinite, there is some edge to it. So the doughnut of the universe (all of existence) is hanging is some void. There is something beyond the everything. Even if the something is nothingness. Applying Occam's Razor, a supernatural force acting on the nothingness to create existence ("Let there be light") is a better solution than all the quantum bullshit that can't be resolved. Either way you look at it, it's turtle all the way down.

The Holy Spirit isn't all that wacky either. It is the Christians that hold the belief that are usually wacky. No one seems to mind the Hindu greeting Namatse. So why is the Christian concept of humanity, individually or en masse, possessing a Divine Spark so odd? Most theologians will have a hard time explaining the nature of the Paraclete, so don't expect me to sum it up here. But the existential beehive bond that all humanity shares and the personification of Nature are rationally acceptable philosophical concepts.

I was recommended the Life of Pi by a friend. He read it and came away with the idea that human nature trumps all. I read it and came away with the fact the truth is still there even if you tell the story in a more colorful manner. Which brings us to Jesus.

Jesus is the tough one. If you go on the basis that Jesus is not God and you have to prove that He is, the only solution is human arrogance. Why would this Supreme Creator and Divine Spark which conceived, constructed, and rule the entire universe even care if some evolved monkeys prayed to golden calves and committed acts of adultery? What impact does this have on the cosmos? But when you look at it from the other angle, that Jesus is God and this actually was important enough to Him to come down and set things right then the love that God has for us is vast and unimaginable. I am happier with this perspective.

So there is no proof I can give you there. It is more logical that Jesus was a wise philosopher that taught people to love each other. You really have to want to believe. Belief is inherently based not on reason, but in faith. There is also Pascal's Wager, which is just hedging your spiritual bets. But I more than believe, I am devout. I am an instrument of the Lord.

I love me some Jesus. Happy Birthday, Big Guy!

(P.S. The more you mock my beliefs, the more bonus points I get. So all of you atheists, agnostics, and Pastafarians have at it. But this is not about me being Catholic, that is a different post.)

26 comments:

David said...

A neat summation, except for the bit about bonus points. You only get bonus points for a bizarre and elaborately painful death for your faith.

Lucidiocy said...

"If you are really a product of a materialistic universe, how is it that you don't feel at home there?"

~C.S. Lewis

Dale said...

They say God is in the Details but which issue?

pistols at dawn said...

If God is so mighty and awe-inspiring, how come the best Christian musician He's got is Michael W. Smith?

Game, set, match.

Evil Genius said...

David,

One can only hope.

Luc,

So that's why!

Dale,

The devil is in the Details. God is in GQ.

Pistols,

I know! God only seems to inspire second rate artists like J.S. Bach. What is up with that?

-EG

Blowing Shit Up With Gas said...

"Applying Occam's Razor, a supernatural force acting on the nothingness to create existence ("Let there be light") is a better solution than all the quantum bullshit that can't be resolved."

My 2 cents: Just because we quite limited humans can't understand a phenomenon based on science doesn't mean there isn't some physical (non-spiritual) explanation. I think we're simply too limited in our ability to comprehend such things. In my world view, there are simply "mysteries." Whether the answer is God or science or something we cannot even imagine is a matter of definition. I'm not against spirituality or philosophy, but I've always had a real problem with organized religion -- not with individuals who are members of those religions, though. But I don't want to hijack your comments section with all my junk. Good thing you stated that the list is non-heirarchical, though, as the big guy might get a little pissed if s/he thinks your goldfish ranks higher.

Evil Genius said...

BSUWG,

1. I am not trying to say my logic proves God's existence, just that it opens up the possibility. I am totally with you on the limited comprehension part. You can use science or spirituality to fill in the gaps, but much like finding out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop, the world may never know.

2. I don't mind organized religion, but I am not a fan of organized politics. Just like booze, people never know when to say when with a good idea.

3. a.) In one manner of thinking God is the universe, so the whole list is about Him right down to the hot girl-on-girl action.

3. b.) I often worry that coffee ranks too high on my list if I were to crate a hierarchy.

4. I like the fact that you have several parallel theories with completely different philosophical spin. Hijack anytime you want!

-EG

BeckEye said...

Yay, God! I like Him too.

Bubs said...

Whew. Metaphysically, my head is spinning. In a good way.

lulu said...

I'm a big fan of Jesus. Some of his followers piss me off though.

Evil Genius said...

Beckeye,

From what I hear, He likes you too.

Bubs,

You know exactly how to flatter me!(Don't stop.)

Lulu,

I agree, but that is one of the great things about Him. He loves the assholes too. Which may be the best proof of His divinity.

-EG

GETkristiLOVE said...

Yu sure do like to keep a girl waiting, but at least you deliver. Nice post EG. BTW, does your man upstairs know you are Evil?

I too, am into Jesus, however I prefer the Jesus Christ Superstar version, and don't credit an Omniscient with the spark that causes/controls life. JC was just one cool, huarache-sandal wearing dude... and he could sing.

Besides, I've been asking God for a good slapshot for five years now and nothing, so I'm fairly certain he doesn't exist.

McGone said...

I decided a short while ago that the God business for me was just that... for me (and me alone) to deal with. I don't hassle people about their beliefs and hope they let me figure mine out on my terms. I won't weigh in on this at all because that's the stance I am taking at this time, but I will say you have given me some interesting links to read over.

I was born and raised Catholic. I've just had to figure out a few things over the years, and it's a work in progress.

Also? I would like to remind Pistols at Dawn of the Yellow and Black Attack - that's right... I went with a Stryper reference.

Evil Genius said...

GkL,

1. Anticipation, baby. I know how to work it!

2. Yes, the Man upstairs knows the content of my soul and how many kittens I have killed. And no matter how many "Evil"s I tack on, I think I am still falling short of the mark.

3. They can ruin anything with a musical. Especially Andrew Lloyd Webber. If they ever make "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - The Smiths on Broadway!" I will rend my garments and flay my flesh.

4. Apparently God's divine plan does not include you mastering that quick wrist movement. His wisdom can seem so cruel.

McGone,

You're absolutely right. I usually tend to stay out of it. This was more a response to "certain people" hassling me. But I am glad I gave you something to think about. That is all I was after. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind or question anyone else's beliefs.

Now the Stryper reference on the other hand does make want to hassle you and question your values.

-EG

David said...

Re "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - The Smiths on Broadway!" - PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THEM IDEAS.

Hot Lemon said...

THIS Pastafarian has this to say:

"yarr, matey!! R'amen!!"

Doc said...

You write some damn fine posts, but this is my favorite. I wrote on this topic a short while ago and it sounds like you had the same motivations, and answers I did.

As far as the "Evil" in your moniker, I like to think of it like the terms "wicked" or "bad" as in describing something "cool".

You keep writing them and I'll keep reading them.

Doc

Evil Genius said...

David,

I am sure they would have come up with it on their own eventually. Everybody's clever nowadays.

Hot Lemon,

That was unusally succint. R'amen to you, brother.

Doc,

I read your post. I am a big lurker and did not comment. But it got me off my ass to reply to GkL after bugging me so long about this. Thank you.

-EG

David said...

I tend to believe everyone's a little dumber these days despite being more information rich.

Evil Genius said...

David,

Thanks for stopping by. You are getting here just in time. Things should start to get interesting here at WILATU again very soon. Hope you will hang around. I might buy one of your books if you do.

Might.

-EG

Bubs said...

Oh, by the way, there's a book coming out you might be interested in: God and the New Atheism by John Haught. It's a critique of some of the stronger attacks on religion lately by Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris et al. The author is a Roman Catholic theologian who's pro-evolution and teaches at Georgetown.

David said...

I do not recommend my books to anyone except the green crayon brigade, but if you have to read one, read Secrets & Lies. Any book that is disliked by Scientologists, the CIA and Scotland Yard has to have something to recommend it.

GETkristiLOVE said...

I live to bug you, EG.

Grant Miller said...

I've always considered you a God.

Evil Genius said...

Bubs,

I will have to check out all three.

David,

While I have my library card out...

GkL,

I wanna be bugged by you, and nobody else but you.

Grant,

In my last coming I took the form of a giant Sloar! Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you!

-EG

FranIAm said...

Wow.

(that's all. just wow!)