Friday, January 18, 2008

Rock and Roll Nicknames Quiz

Those of you who know me have been drilled on these extensively, so now it is time to see what you have retained. These are all generally accepted nicknames, most of which appear on the first page of a Google search. (Cheat if you must, but you can just highlight the answers right here.) I did not make any of these up, though I am lobbying for "St. Ignatius the Popular" for Iggy Pop. But even that one wouldn't count. My guidelines included no nicknames derived from the person's name, only professional nicknames (not what his friends may call him), and nothing derived from a lyric or song title. Some artists appear more than once. I also branched out from Rock and Roll, but not very far. Most of these are ridiculously easy, some are not. Give yourself whatever score you feel you deserve.

The Chairman of the Board - Frank Sinatra

The Velvet Fog - Mel Torme
The Polish Prince - Bobby Vinton
Mr. Entertainment - Sammy Davis, Jr.
The Voice - Frank Sinatra
Lady Day - Billie Holiday

The King -Elvis Presley
The Killer - Jerry Lee Lewis
The Architect of Rock and Roll - Little Richard
The Father of Rock and Roll - Chuck Berry
Godfather of Soul - James Brown
Queen of Soul - Aretha Franklin
Queen of Disco - Donna Summer
King of Pop - Michael Jackson
Queen of Pop - Madonna
The Boss - Bruce Springsteen
The Genius - Ray Charles
The Fab Four - The Beatles
The Glimmer Twins - Mick Jagger and Kieth Richards
The Greatest Rock and Roll
Band in the World - The Rolling Stones
The Loudest Rock Band in the World - The Who
The Only Band That Matters - The Clash
The Hardest Working Man in Showbiz - James Brown
The Lizard King - Jim Morrison
The Walrus - John Lennon
Bird - Charlie Parker
The Man in Black - Johnny Cash
The Red-headed Stranger - Willie Nelson
The Purple One - Prince
The White Witch - Stevie Nicks
The Thin White Duke - David Bowie
The Pope of Mope - Morrissey
The Belfast Cowboy - Van Morrison
The Motor City Madman - Ted Nugent
Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love - They Might Be Giants

Bonus Points:
No-talent Assclown - Michael Bolton

14 comments:

pistols at dawn said...

Man, I got like a 50%, which is the best grade I've ever gotten on a test.

BeckEye said...

I got a 23. I didn't bother to calculate my percentage.

I think I got the bonus question though too. My answer of Kid Rock is just as valid as yours.

Dr.evil said...

If theres a Donna Summer, is there a Donna Winter?

Evil Evil Genius said...

There's an Edgar Winter if that helps.

Blowing Shit Up With Gas said...

I gave myself a B-.

Doc said...

I got about half, is that enough for the bonus round?

Doc

GETkristiLOVE said...

You forgot "Little Bastard" - Mellencamp's nickname after he tried to change his Johnny Cougar stage name to his real name.

Evil Evil Genius said...

You mean John Cougar Melencamp is the car James Dean died in?

Chris said...

I got 19, plus the bonus question. I'm pissed I missed the TMBG one.

pezda said...

I got the TMBG one, but missed a few I shouldn't have.

GETkristiLOVE said...

Exactly where he took it from.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your website. I host a weekly trivia night and thought about doing a round of Rock & Roll nicknames. I found your website while Googling to see if what I knew off the top if my head was right. P.S. You forgot The Grandfather of Grunge: either Neil Young or Kurt Cobain.

Anonymous said...

Hey i am suuper boy

Anonymous said...

We grow small trying to be great.