Friday, January 25, 2008

WILATU - #53 spellcheck

If it weren't for spellcheck this ishwat it would look lik everytime I typoed something. Between my big oafish sausage fingers slamming down on the keyboard in abd advanced hint-and -peck methodn w while I looka t the keyboard and not at the screen, my brain working fater than my habds, and my generall attrocious spelling skills, it is a wonder that I ever get anything typed.

Of course, as it has with everyone, spellcheck has left me high and ry many a time. There are plenty of words that can be mistyped and still register as other words. Even with grammar check it doesn't catch when you leave the "f' off of "of" and just have an "o" hanging there. Like Bit o' Honey or jack-o-lantern. Which is lots o fun 9like a barrel o monkeys) but probally not what you intended.

Then of course there are words that everyone gets wrong like: mispell, recieve, your and you're, and all those damned different there's. And we each have our own simple words we constantly miss. I always used to misspell wether and realy alot. Or words that never look right like: conscinetious, rhtyhm, or awkward.

But whether it be the yellow highlights on Blogger or the red squigly underline on Word, I am thankful for spellcheck for saving me from looking like an idiot prctically everytie i haveto use a keyboard interface to enter information of amy kind.

19 comments:

pistols at dawn said...

As a former spelling bee champion, I never have this problem. Except the sausage fingers thing. These are not delicate objets d'art.

Grant Miller said...

This is a great idea for a post. I wish I'd ripped it off. I may still.

I forgot where I read it, but someone put the Gettysburg Address through some kind of Microsoft Word grammer and spelling checker. The edited product, suffice to say, wasn't quite as good.

Flannery Alden said...

Amen!

Suze said...

Eye couldn't reed a word of what you where saying their.

Lucidiocy said...

if I do one more 'your' for 'you're' I swear I'll choke on my next rib eye, and conveniently die.

Mariposa said...

Ha! One of the mystery I have to lie with is trying to figure out why I misspell words I've known all my life!

Hot Lemon said...

I've come to the cornclusion that spelling is genetic: either yoo gots it, or ya 'ent.

You n' mee, we 'ent.

pezda said...

I just call [Son #1] into the room and have him verify everything I write.

SkylersDad said...

Funny stuff, I have never been a touch typist. I hunt and peck at an amazing rate tho...

Beth said...

I wish more people subscribed to the spellcheck theory as you. I have to admit, the snotty grammar grrrl deep in my soul gets irritated over a poorly typed blog.

Doc said...

If it wasn't for spellcheck I never would have started a blog to begin with.

Doc

GETkristiLOVE said...

Spellcheck is as Evil as you are. I can't spell compleacated words on my own anymore..

Blowing Shit Up With Gas said...

Spellcheck saves my ass daily. I'm a damn good speller, but a lousy typist. I've got the hunt & peck thing down to an art form, though.

Doc said...

I put up a little something for you. Swing by SZ, tcob when you get the chance.

Doc

minijonb said...

I gott teh messeage loud nd cleaur.

minijonb said...

I gott teh messeage loud nd cleaur.

minijonb said...

I didn't mean to double post... but I like the effect it had, so I'll leave them both up there.

Cheers.

gifted typist said...

Brilliant

Whiskeymarie said...

Without spellcheck, I couldn't have a blog.

And, oddly enough, spellcheck is indicating that I spelled spellcheck wrong here just now.