Monday, April 14, 2008

Command Performance

A few astute readers may have picked up on this, I've referenced it in comments from time to time and it says it in my profile, but it would probably be news to many of you that I'm an actor. A somewhat serious one, actually; I've got an MFA in Acting and there have been a few times in my adult life when "actor" was actually my job title for a while. (In the interest of full disclosure, I should state that those were not lucrative times.) I also direct. Mostly, it's been something I do in addition to my day job. So when EG called me yesterday and said, "Hey, I put you in charge of my blog this morning," I decided to be excited about the audience, rather than pissed at him for not giving me a choice in the matter. (Well, I could have refused, I suppose, but I'm not that girl.) Grant Miller called for volunteers, EG. I'm just sayin'.

I've got a number of friends who are actors at roughly my level, and a handful who are a rung or four above. A good friend of mine from college and her husband are both working on Broadway right now, in two different shows. They are also the most attractive couple I know in real life. I recently served as assistant director/dramaturg for a production of Shakespeare's Measure for Measure in Laurel, MD. I also understudied and went on for four performances; I got a nice notice in the Washington Gazette. That's done, and I'm between projects, so why not blog?

One reason I've never started a blog of my own is because it's so bloody time consuming. I spend a fair chunk of time just visiting many of your blogs and commenting verbosely. Honestly, I do a fair bit of that at work. When I'm home there are loads of things I should do, many of which I don't, like clean my room, clean other parts of the apartment, do the dishes (that actually gets done regularly, there are limits), exercise, and finally learn to play the guitar that my parents gave me for Christmas of 2001. I have to cook and do laundry, and I have to call all of my friends and family, very few of whom live in the tri-state area. No. They're in New York, and Florida, and Ohio, and California, and even Australia, and keeping up with them is important to me. So taking up blogging has never quite happened.

However, while the Evil Genius is not the boss of me, he's someone to whom I owe quite a bit, so I'll blogsit if he wants me to. It'll be much more fun than the time I helped him move. (Ugly. Maybe not a story for this space.) Plus, we all know he's been quite the slack blogger of late. I'm not sure how often I'll post, but I can at least handle the once or twice a week we've seen from him of late. I'll warn you I'm not as funny as he is, but I also won't bore you with stuff about space. (Sorry, EG; you know I'll act interested when you want to tell me about it. And I'm an actor.) So I'm who ya got for the next little while, gang. Neither I nor the Genius know how long this state of affairs will prevail. But I'm actually pretty excited. Curtain up!

15 comments:

wileykylie said...

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oy, Oy, Oy!

lulu said...

Are you going to share your favorite things about the universe with us?

Pezda's Ghost said...

Is dramaturg a real word?

Red said...

Yes. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dramaturg

Anonymous said...

What about your friends in North Carolina????? ;P :)

Gnus said...

RED! This is fabulous news!

Use your power wisely, lady.

SkylersDad said...

The place already looks spruced up, well done!

pistols at dawn said...

This doth not bode well for EG's mental state, which at this point is officially set to "fugue."

However, welcome, miss. Most of the actors I know are in year ten of researching a role as a waiter; a role that they have yet to book.

Anonymous said...

Wuddup wuddup red. Your cheery words and clipped wit are a fun start to the day! (Well my day started a while ago technically. It's ME that hasn't started yet)

113lbs of Whoopass

Leonesse said...

OH, I always thought it was dramaturd. My bad.

Red said...

wileykylie -

Shame on you for not telling me about your blog! I will be catching up in the coming days and weeks.

lulu -

You already know two things I like about the universe - WILATU and the Evil Genius who (usually) writes it. It's likely I'll be sharing more.

Pezda -

As I mentioned above, yes. It can also be spelled "dramaturge", and is probably a back-construction.

Anon -

Well, I know you from NYC and Florida...

Gnugs -

I'll do my best.

SD -

EG actually did the sprucing up; I only know how to enter text. Thanks, though.

Pistols -

You know how I love that vocab, babe, but in this case I don't think "fugue" means exactly what you think it means. I'm worried about him, too, but this is my little way of lowering his stress.

113lb.-

Thanks for dropping in! Do you know you're one of only about two people who is allowed to call me Red in real life?

Leonesse -

Let's try to stay away from bathroom humor, shall we? I know you can do better!

Evil Genius said...

Poop!

GETkristiLOVE said...

I dated an actor once... he acted like he liked me. Asshole! I'm sure you don't use your abilities to hurt people though, right?

Red said...

Kristi, I only use my powers for good. I've (almost) never dated an actor - I know better! But I'm not going to give you the biggest problem with dating an actor (i.e. the good looking ones sleep around something awful).

I once dated a guy who kept accusing me of acting in real life. That would really gall me, but with the perspective of time and distance, I can realize that he was right in that I was trying so hard to be "perfect" that he wasn't exactly dating the real me. I was ever so much younger then.

Grant Miller said...

EG is the boss of me.