Monday, April 28, 2008

My Parents' Computer Doesn't Like Blogger

I spent the weekend with my parents, grandfather, brother, sister-in-law and adorable nephew. I tried to write this post yesterday, but it wouldn't let me.

I don't go "home" that often. My parents live in a suburb of Orlando. We moved there when I was a little shy of 13. (I never say "when I was 12", because then I'm getting charged with having lived there longer.) I put "home" in quotes because while I feel at home there to a certain extent, I recoil in horror when anyone says that I'm from Florida. No. No, no, no. I'm from New Jersey, and while some of you (*cough* Pistols *cough*) might mock me for it, I'd ten times rather be thought of as a Jersey girl than as a Floridian. That's just how I roll.

The town my parents live in does have some fun little quirks. Its name is an Indian word meaning "Big Potato" and it claims to be the indoor foliage capital of the world. It also has the longest serving mayor in America. He was first elected in 1950, and he's been mayor ever since except for a little hiatus from 1968-70. (Not quite sure why the hiatus.)

We went to the 47th annual Art and Foliage Festival yesterday. To get there, we passed by the middle school where I spent the most miserable year and a half of my life. It's where I became aware of racism and learned just how mean some people can be. Good times! But it didn't kill me, so I guess it made me stronger. I do know that when my parents offered me a chance to go back to Catholic school for high school, I jumped at it.

We celebrated my birthday as well as that of one of my brothers. The food was excellent, with both of my parents contributing his/her specialty. (In my dad's case, specialties include a lovely no-bake strawberry pie and pancakes with apple syrup.) I also saw my best friend on her birthday, spent some time with my adorable 15-month-old nephew and learned that 46 hours may be the perfect length of time in the Orlando metro area, for me anyway.

So Happy Monday everybody. Please note that if you see the banner change, it's as good as a sign that says, "EG was here"; I don't know how to do that. Hey, EG! We miss you. Take good care of yourself and come back soon!

10 comments:

Suze's Sass said...

It's always good to go home again. For just a few days anyway.

Red said...

It is; I just liked it better when "going home" meant a shot at a good cheese steak or Italian hoagie and catching the Phils at the Vet. You know what I'm talkin' about, Suze.

Robin said...

F-L-O-R-I-D-A S-U-C-K-S. Florida sucks, Florida sucks, Florida sucks, whooo! (If you know how to chant that properly, you've proved yourself a Floridian. Ha!)

Red said...

It doesn't make me a Floridian, it just makes me a Seminole. Ha HA!

J said...

hey, here is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash, I was making about $900 extra a month...
check it out ..

J said...

hey, here is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash, I was making about $900 extra a month...
check it out ..

Leonesse said...

Coming home again isn't always what it's cracked up to be. In fact, it nearly cracked me up!

Beth said...

I spend most of my childhood vacations in Florida, so I'm so over that state. You should have come to the ATL for a more fun weekend.

pistols at dawn said...

A lot of people actively dislike Florida, but I think that's just because they've never been to the Midwest. Indiana? Are you still an effing state? Not when I get elected, you aren't...

Red said...

Pistols at Dawn, the peoples candidate! Seriously, though, I _have_ been to Indiana. I've been to 46 states, and many of them have precious little to recommend them. Indiana does deserve mockery above and beyond many of the others, but FL is still plenty hate-worthy. I've wasted, um, I mean logged enough years of my life there to know.