Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Em-PHA-sis

I'm a bit of a stickler for grammar and pronunciation. I blame Catholic school, theatre and my parents. For the most part, I love being a grammar snob. (GEWs for GESUS!*) The thing I don't love is how many people simply cannot "talk good English." Now, as you may have heard before, if you were to read the title of this post aloud, the second, capitalized syllable should be pronounced with a short "a", as in "hat", but only because I'm being funny.

The thing that inspired this post is actually not a grammar or pronunciation error, per se, but rather someone making a strange choice about which word he chose to emphasize. (This is mostly the theatre background talking, but only mostly.) I just left a message on the voicemail of the guy who sets up my company's conference calls. It struck me funny that his greeting says, "Please leave a message after the beep."

Point 1: It's not actually possible to leave a message before the beep.
Point 2: Duh.

I bet he has no idea how dumb he sounds. I'm not so super smart either, though. When I was leaving my message, I was so distracted by the above that I forgot to leave my phone number. Oh, well. That's what email is for.

*Note: For my dear Jewish friend R, and for anyone else who may not know, this means "Grammar and English Warriors for Grammar, English Speaking and Understanding Syntax". It's nothing to do with the Tribe. But you all knew that because you can spell.

8 comments:

McGone said...

But don't forget to type your message before you hit "send."

Suze's Sass said...

We have a new phone system at work and I struggle to even get a message everyday. I'm sad!

Dale said...

Pha-ooey.

FranIAm said...

I am simply laughing too hard to leave any sort of comment...

Falwless said...

I am a grammar nazi to!

SkylersDad said...

In my job I have to communicate with folks from China, India, and Ireland. All use different emphasis in places than us, and it is really an effort not to giggle on conference calls.

India has one engineer we all love, always mixing sentences around. We call him Yoda, because, backwards the sentences he makes...

Blowing Shit Up With Gas said...

I couldn't AG-ree more.

robin said...

Wait a sec -- am I your only Jewish friend!?!?!?!