Friday, May 02, 2008

iWish: Sweet Little Sixteen

This Friday, I thought we'd branch off a bit and deal with songs that are not on my iPod, worse luck for me. See, my iTunes are housed on a computer so old that it doesn't have a burner, so I've only ever downloaded two songs, which I happened to get free. The songs on my iPod are either CDs I own or CDs friends have loaned me. Then with CDs I own, there's the fact that I bought most of them used/on sale. So while I might like to own, say, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Greatest Hits (which contains #12 ), I own Wildflowers instead, because it was $5 at the used CD store. Some of these I know I can get from EG, so it's partly a to-do list. However, #1 was the first track I tried to download from iTunes, and they don't have it, at least not as such. They have some version from Napoleon Dynamite, with an "alternate ending", and I'm a bit wary. I might have taken my chances but I would have had to buy the whole CD. Oh, well. Someday. So, songs I would like to have on my iPod, but don't:

1. The Promise - When in Rome
2. Somebody - Depeche Mode
3. The Secret Life of Morgan Davis - Ben Folds (Five? Not sure. It was never on an album.)
4. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want - The Smiths
5. Girlfriend in a Coma - The Smiths
6. Ask - The Smiths
7. Ain't Too Proud to Beg - The Rolling Stones cover. Actually, this is already on my iPod by the Four Tops, but I love this version.
8. Beast of Burden - The Rolling Stones
9. You Can't Always Get What You Want - The Rolling Stones
10. Creep - the Chrissie Hynde version. My all-time favorite cover.
11. Here's to the Losers - Frank Sinatra
12. American Girl - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
13. Surrender - Cheap Trick*
14. Punk Rock Girl - The Dead Milkmen
15. I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
16. It Never Entered My Mind - Miles Davis

*All views expressed in this space at this time are Red's. The Evil Genius should not be assumed to share them.

6 comments:

Grant Miller said...

The Smiths don't even make that many appearances on my random lists.

Well done.

Doc said...

"But if you try sometime, you get what you need, oh yeah." Thanks Dear, a fun list that reminds me of a few things I need to track down myself, even if I "can't always get what I want."

Doc

Bubs said...

Hey, this is a great bunch of songs you got here. I Wanna Be Sedated is my ringtone.

sid said...

Unfortunately I don't have any of these songs for you else I would have sent them your way. If however you're into Amy Winehouse, Snow Patrol, Sara Bareilles ... I can hook you up.

Leonesse said...

I wanna be sedated is my new theme song. Wake me up after the move, will ya?

Red said...

I love Chrissie Hynde's cover of Creep. Seriously good stuff.