Friday, May 16, 2008

iWonder

How does the shuffle function on an iPod work, anyway? Anybody know? It's amazing to me that this "random" function will occasionally play consecutive tracks from the same album, or two tracks by the same artist, sometimes from the same album, right in a row. Last week, for example, the sweet sixteen included three songs by Cake. Which caused McGone to comment that my iPod obviously had a favorite, and maybe it does, but I find it odd that there are two different Cake albums on my iPod, yet all three of those tracks came from Fashion Nugget. And once last week, I turned my iPod off just when it got to a song I really liked; I had stuff to do. When I turned it back on, the screen went blank so I had to reset it. When I turned the shuffle on, that song was the first thing that played. Weird, yes? Then the other night, within about twelve or fifteen songs, I heard two or three off of Help!, even though there are three Beatles albums on my iPod. (Sadly, none of them were my favorite songs off Help!) In that same 12-15, two Deana Carter songs, consecutive album tracks from her second album, played. Perhaps the strangest thing that ever happened was when I happened to have the same track on my iPod twice from two different sources, and it came up twice in a row! So if anyone understands how this function works, I would LOVE if you could explain it to all of us. Maybe I'll even bake you cookies! Maybe not. But I sure would appreciate it. So, this week's Sweet Sixteen:

1. Jesus Walking on the Water - Violent Femmes*
2. Last in Love - George Strait
3. You Still Shake Me - Deana Carter
4. Never Comin' Down - Deana Carter**
5. I've Just Seen a Face - The Beatles
6. Mack the Knife - Bobby Darin
7. Drinkin' My Baby Goodbye - Charlie Daniels Band
8. Subtract One Love Multiply the Heartache - Cake
9. The Time Machine - Collin Raye
10. Penny Lane - The Beatles
11. I Still Miss Someone - Johnny Cash
12. Keep the Customer Satisfied - Simon and Garfunkel
13. If You Don't Mind - Magnetic Fields
14. What About Georgia? - Miranda Lambert
15. Sexx Laws - Beck
16. That's How You Know When You're in Love - Lari White

Also? The following came up in the mix very shortly thereafter, which brings us back to what we're talking about above:
Hello, Goodbye - The Beatles(17)
You LIke Me Too Much - The Beatles(18)[but at least these are off different albums]
And 2 more by Loretta Lynn by #27.

*tracks like this make me think that country and punk are a lot closer together than their respective fans probably want to think.
**obviously another of my iPod's favorite artists

3 comments:

SkylersDad said...

I would need a white board and quite a lot of time to diagram how random functions work, and I don't have either. So suffice to say, it's the same principle that causes the next Kleenex in the box to pop up.

No need to thank me...

Red said...

This may inspire a future "Aaron Sorkin quote of the week", but that sort of makes sense. I guess the order that occurs in randomness is sometimes just really amazing.

GETkristiLOVE said...

My iPod favors Cake too! I think it's because it's hungry...