Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What I Like About the Universe: Swings

I love swinging on swings. I always have. It's about the closest feeling I can imagine to flying. It's a "wind in your face, going pretty fast" kinda rush, but you can do it sitting down. Plus, if you're alone on the playground, you can also sing at the top of your lungs with no one to care. I mean, I would imagine you can...

Also? Great source of stress relief. I don't get to go on swings nearly as much as I'd like, but I probably go on them more often that many childless people in their early 30s. My idea of a perfect evening is ice cream and swinging on swings, in no particular order. Hey guys? If you're broke? Makes a great date. Or if you're a dad, you can be your little girl's big strong hero with only modest effort. My dad used to take me to the playground, pull back my swing while counting down from ten, and then when he'd lifted me as high as he could go, he'd push me forward and say, "Blastoff!" Good times. Good times.

I'd imagine swings may also have some modest amount of aerobic value, or strength for your arms, something? I've known people who say they get sick on swings now that they're adults, and I feel really bad for them. 'Cause I'm a pretty big chicken, but I do like to fly now and then.

8 comments:

Bubs said...

You just made me intensely nostalgic for swings. I think I'll have to take a walk to the park tomorrow.

Suze's Sass said...

I was always afraid that the swing's chain was going to break and I'd go flying off and break my neck. Really, I should've laid off the horror movies as a kid.

SkylersDad said...

We used to swing Skyler all the time until he got too big to make it all work. It was very good for him, his sensory system needed the vestibular motion you get from swinging.

McGone said...

I'm a big fan of the coin operated rocket outside of the local K-Mart. It's a very tight fit, however.

Great-Grandmother's Shopping List said...

If you'd had read my follow-up comment to your comment on my blog, you'd know swings, according to a study at http://www.playcore.com/upload/file/frost-swings-final.pdf, promote movement and perceptual skills, spatial awareness, general fitness, social interaction, mental representation and sensory integration, including vestibular development (balance).

Dale said...

What's not to love about a good old fashioned swinger?

pistols at dawn said...

I like swings, but mostly because they've usually got kidnappable kids on them.

Warren Beatty said...

I too enjoy swinging.