Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Red's Non-Title Title Track of the Week


Hey, gang! I know it's been a while, but I want to let the Genius have the place to himself, at least mostly. By now, most of you probably grasp the "Non-Title Title Track" concept. EG's right; once you get it, you start noticing others. Many cool artists and bands use this device, I'll admit, but I do take a perverse joy in pointing out to EG when completely dorky bands do it. So, my non-title title track this week is Starship's "We Built This City".

Knee deep in the hoopla sinking in your fight
Too many runaways eating up the night*

Wiki has some fun things to say; that's what the link will take you to. For example, this was one of two number ones off this album, and Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship had never had a number one before. (Maybe the "Jefferson" was holding them back.) Sure, we could argue that "White Rabbit" and "Somebody to Love" are better songs, but it would seem that the record buying public at the time didn't quite see it that way.

So, I plan to continue my contributions to this series, and at least the next few I can think of aren't nearly so dorky.

*In the interest of maintaining a modicum of street cred, I want it noted that I had to look this lyric up.

9 comments:

Falwless said...

Wait a second, am I understanding this? Starship is dorky? Are you serious? You know, just when I start liking a band, it's all, "Oh them? Ha, they're so passé." Jesus. Who can even keep up anymore? Sigh.

Also, I'm pretty sure "passé" is passé.

wileykylie said...

You had to look it up? I am disappointed and saddened.

And don't mock too much, I have that song on my ipod and I'm supercool.

wileykylie said...

And, yes, I know that it's totally not cool to say that you're cool, but it's so very, very not cool that it's actually cool again. Like corderoy patches and Anthony Michael Hall.

Evil Genius said...

I have six words for you: Jefferson Starship, Star Wars Holiday Special.

I know at least Some Guy knows what I'm talking about here.

Some things can never be forgiven, not even by Jesus.

Red said...

Man, this song sucks. God bless you for brining it up.

Red said...

Falwless,

I think the word EG would use is "awful". The words I would use are "fun and kitschy". You decide!

WK,

I know you're cool. And D loves that song. It was on the European mix I meant to make you guys; did I ever?

EG,

I would think that makes them okay in your book. This comment started me thinking, though - I can't name a Jefferson Starship song. Jefferson Airplane and Starship, but their '70s incarnation is a mystery to me.

Red,

It's a fine line. Starship - Yay! Fun kitsch! Supertramp - Bites HARD. I realize others will have varying opinions.

pistols at dawn said...

That song is so effing bad, but damn if I'm not pumping my fist at the "Tony plays the mambas" part every time.

Evil Genius said...

This is why I have no faith in humanity.

Doc said...

I got this album from the record company because I didn't send the card back in time, and it was the special of the month.

Doc