Friday, July 11, 2008

Hypocrisy, thy name is Dinsey

Some whiny fat guy (assumed) over at Slate is already bitching that this movie paints waistband-challenged Americans in a negative light, and sends the wrong message by equating obesity with environmental neglect. Umm...yeah.

How about the fact that every kid who went to opening weekend got a poorly-made digital watch and valueless "trading cards"? This lovely rubber landfill fodder (<--please to click on this link) has a non-replaceable battery and is now selling for one crisp buck on e-Bay. Did no one at the Magic Kingdom see the irony in giving out over-packaged crappy merchandise at a movie supposedly warning of the evils of consumerism and a disposable society? No? OK, maybe it's just me then.

8 comments:

Flannery Alden said...

Amen, brother. Doc took the kids to see this movie and those watches are crap. They're not cool in any way; they look like something the hospital would send home with you.

lulu said...

I totally made my students watch the Story of Stuff last year. They were horrifued.

FranIAm said...

I have not seen the film, but I would think that from what I read, the link between waste, obesity and so forth would be a good thing.

As for cheap crap, can someone please come speak to my 12 year old? She loves it, a true American child. Cough cough.

minijonb said...

I bet I could sell one of those watches on eBay... for a penny.

pistols at dawn said...

Also, did they consider making a good movie with "dialog" and "characters?" Because this movie was the best hourlong nap I've taken in years.

Evil Genius said...

Flann: Not to mention you need diamond tip fingernails and the patience of Job to set one.

Lulu: Your Chicago students or your Bangladesh students? I would be interested to know who was more horrified.

Fran: The merchandising has only just begun.

JB: [standing by to torpedo your bid.]

Pistols: I thought the plant they found was a rather complling character.

Grant Miller said...

Eh. The movie was okay.

Evil Genius said...

GM,the movie itself was OK, but in the sage wisdom of Yogurt, "Merchandising! That's where the real money is made."