Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Non-Title Title Track of the Week, or, While the Cat's Away...

So as I've explained, I enjoy gently mocking EG with completely uncool artists who have done this. He threatened to take this down as soon as I posted it, but he's away this weekend and I'm not sure he'll be checking in, so...

The song "Ice, Ice Baby" contains the line "To the Extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal/Light up the stage and watch me jump like a candle."

This is one of those things that I'd gladly forget if I could, but the album came out when I was in 8th grade and it was etched onto my consciousness. Some of it is still there. For a laugh, especially if you were born between, say, 1977 and 1980, try sometime to see how many of the lyrics you remember. I bet the answer will be, "More than you 'should'."

6 comments:

pistols at dawn said...

Every single one. I spent hours in Florida referencing heading to "A1A, Beachfront avenue!"

Incidentally, that's where the girls are hot, wearing less than bikinis and rock hard lovers are driving Lamborghinis.

Red said...

It's actually "wax a chump like a candle." Not that I, like, know every word to that song or anything. And I definitely never saw his movie Cool as Ice. That would just be pathetic.

Catherinette Singleton said...

It's shameful to remember lyrics "sung" by Vanilla Ice. What's even worse is I remember those "sung" by Gerardo.

pistols at dawn said...

Good catch, Red. Man, it's enough to make a young man want to Dance! Bum rush the speakers that boom, even though the effects might kill one's brain like a poisonous mushroom.

FranIAm said...

Deep sigh from "mature" blogger.

Many years ago - say like when VI had his 15 minutes, I worked in an office building in Manhattan that also housed his record company... In the same elevator bank.

So I get in the elevator, followed by a young, very short kid who was clearly a messenger and none other than the Ice Ice baby man.

Ice gets out on whatever floor, it came first and then the messenger was apoplectic about having had this brush with greatness in the elevator. Such as it was.

I am not going to get into it, but I know far too many lyrics to that particular song of his, far far too many for a woman in the last half of 50, with 51 on the horizon.

THAT my dear friends, is very pathetic.

Red said...

Pistols,

I'm gonna guess no one 'round here is surprised by that. From what little I know of his work and yours, you write better lyrics.

Red,

It actually makes me feel good that I got that wrong, and I'd imagine it'll be a small sop of comfort to our resident Genius.

CS,

That is truly unfortunate. However "[You were]young and foolish then/[you]feel old and foolish now"

P@D,

Okay, enough already!

Fran,

I had a similar reaction once during such a brush with greatness. Granted, mine was with Stephen Sondheim, greatest living American lyricist and one of my personal heroes.