Tuesday, July 01, 2008

A Troubling of Goldfish

Dr. Spaceman is nearly a year old, but the the fake plastic plants in the tank were about to enter their teens. So about a month ago when the light fixture died, I decided to spruce up the joint. I couldn't find a light fixture to fit the old, salt-crusted plastic hood, so the next item was a new glass top. Then the cheap plastic plants were replaced with expensive plastic plants, and the fake rocks were replaced with real rocks and some driftwood.

As you can see from previous photos, Spaceman was not always pure white. Sometimes goldfish lose their color for a variety of natural reasons, much like some people lose their hair. So I decided to add a little color by giving Dr. Spaceman some evil minions of his own.

Meet Tyler Durden (orange calico) and Keyser Söze (white calico.) They are what most people would consider "normal" sized goldfish, but are just big enough not to be snacks for the good Doctor. They are Shubunkins which are excellent swimmers, and I picked the fastest two in the pet store so they would be able to compete for food. They also tend to stick together for safety. Goldfish do not school, they form a troubling. (Now you know.)

I also bought two Chinese algae eaters. I named them Dyson and Kirby (I hope at least Grant appreciates these names.) Kirby was not big enough and did become a snack for Dr. Spaceman. I assume Dyson is in one of these photos, but he blends in with the gravel and you can barely see him when you do find him.

So does this makes me sort of like a crazy cat lady? After all, I did take several photos including this one to show the sizes in perspective. And you should try taking pictures of a goldfish! If it weren't for digital cameras this would have taken rolls and rolls of film. And we all know I'm not exactly right in the head to begin with (see post below.) So if you call me a crazy cat lady again, I'll sic my goldfish on you!

Attack, Dr. Spaceman! Attack!

10 comments:

FranIAm said...

We have a scary goldfish. Yeech. Yours is definitely scarier.

Falwless said...

HAHA, goldfish! Goldfish are for loooo-hoo-zers!!!!

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go feed my twelve goldfish.

Seriously though, you are the bestest at pet names. Kaiser Söze is the shiznit.

3vil gEnius said...

F.I.A.: Aw, come on! I think he's cute and cuddly!

falwless: Gracias. (Hey, how did you get the umluats over the O?)

Falwless said...

Hold down ALT key while pressing 0246. Voila! You can always find out how to make all the weird characters by going to the character map on your PC (if you're using a PC and not a Mac -- if you're using a Mac I haven't a clue). To find the character map, go to Programs > Accessories > System Tools -- or, if not there, it's somewhere in Accessories probably...

In the character map if you click on a character (for instance, that that ö), you'll often see in the bottom right hand corner of the little window a "Keystroke: _______" instruction. The ö says Keystroke: Alt+0246.

Falwless said...

Who's a genius now, genius?

GETkristiLOVE said...

Spaceman should contact Tobiko if ever in the need of more orange. She's got plenty o' it.

Red said...

Wait, Fran; is your scary gold fish actually _named_ Yeech? 'Cause that'd be pretty cool.

Falwless is right, though; EG is the bestest at pet names. He once named a goldfish "Sexy Motherf---er" because he looked kinda like Prince.

3vil gEnius said...

Falwless: Thanks for your 2¢, señorita! I forgot all about the good ol' character map. You are on the fast track to "Femme Fatal" status.

pistols at dawn said...

I think having pets is a sign of insanity in the first place, because I take every step in my life to limit the amount of poop that's not mine that I have to clean up.

3vil gEnius said...

Pistols: You said "poop!"