Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Desert Island Discs

About a million years ago I posted about what female celebrity I would choose to be stranded on a desert island with. At the end of that post I promised a list of desert island discs would be forthcoming. That day has come.

Having seen this post in draft form for quite some time now, Red has kindly pointed out to me on numerous occasions that this format is traditionally limited to eight selections. A little Wikipedia magic proved her right, naturally. But also found that by "discs" the BBC means "records" in the sense that the Grammys and my parents use the term - in other words, single tracks. So I am sticking with my original misconception of 10 albums.

Here is my list:

1. Viva Hate - Morrissey: Just in case I suffer blunt force trauma from a coconut and loose the part of my brain where this is permanently stored.
2. Kid A - Radiohead: I love listening to this album. It is so complex that I doubt I will ever fully digest it.
3. Portishead - Portishead: Though I would miss "Sour Times" and "Wandering Star," I couldn't live without "Over."
4. Strangeways Here We Come - The Smiths: Art is pain. You can almost hear them breaking up between tracks.
5. Mysterio - Ian MacCollouch: So underrated you can't even imagine. To the point where I would eschew Echo & the Bunnymen proper.
6. Technique - New Order: The apex of synth pop.
7. Cerulean - The Ocean Blue: The boys from Hershey have always been my dark horse and I am betting on them 'till the end.
8. Plans - Death Cab for Cutie: You know I would like to say The Photo Album just to prove that I have been listening to them for that long, but they have steadily improved with each album. Well, up until that last piece of crap they recently put out.
9. Combat Rock - The Clash: What? I was supposed to pick London Calling? Screw you! I like Combat Rock!
10. Turn On Your Bright Lights - Interpol: Dude, they have 200 couches. 200!

I would have to regrettably leave behind: Ruby Vroom- Soul Coughing, Lincoln - They Might Be Giants, Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me - The Cure, and My Aim is True- Elvis Costello. Well, there would be many more I would regret leaving behind. To the point where if I were given a "Desert Island 40G i-Pod" I would still be torn on the cuts I would have to make. Sadly, this is not an exaggeration.

16 comments:

Red said...

What's sad about that? There's so much music to love!

If I were with you, there'd be more. I've been thinking today about what I'd pick if I did it in classical format. I'm definite on "Thunder Road" and pretty definite on "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding", but that's as far as I've gotten. Yet, if I were selecting albums, probably nothing by Bruce would make the cut.

This has been your daily ramble from Red ;^)

Jason said...

Thought I'd find other Ocean Blue fans out there (not too many of us) and you're dead on with Cerulean being a desert island disc. Although I would have a hard time between that and their eponymous debut. Good stuff. Personally, I like Substance over Technique. And Viva Hate - great choice, Morrisey's peak. Might I suggest a disc that is completely loaded and endlessly playable: REM's Life's Rich Pageant. Wait, what am I doing, this is YOUR list! Carry on...

Leonesse said...

What, no Lennon Sisters or that gay ol' Ragtime? Wait, I'm not that old...

lulu said...

This post totally explains why you have depression issues. You need to listen to some happier music man.

cardiogirl said...

I think the music gods have sent you to me. I forgot all about Ocean Blue. Back in college I actually interviewed them (for the college paper, circa 1989-1990) and I remember their song "Drifting, Falling."

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I might have to find the CD they gave me. Sweet!

3vil gEnius said...

Red,

You, me, Shirley Manson and a big music collection on a desert island sounds like a good proposition. There'll be unlimited coffee there too, right?

Jason,

Please see Beth on my blogroll regarding all R.E.M. issues.

Leonesse,

Maybe some Ink Spots or Cab Calloway. But as far as I'm concerned ragtime can suck it (sorry, Red.)

Lulu,

I swapped out Joy Division for the Ocean Blue. That is progress, right?

Cardio,

What was it like to bask in their azure glow?

-(EE)EG

Grant Miller said...

FINALLY!! I have been awaiting this post since 2007!!

pistols at dawn said...

Here's my plan: never get stuck on a desert island so I don't have to leave any of these behind. Between that and my true dreams of Wichita, I should be just fine.

Blowing Shit Up With Gas said...

I so live in a cave... don't own a single one of those! But I'd love to do this meme sometime. Like you, I always thought it meant whole albums.

Red said...

No, 3G. That's "In the Big Rock Candy Mountain..."

Flannery Alden said...

Thanks for the shout-out, old buddy. Right back atcha.

Evil Genius said...

GM,

The wait is over!

P@D,

You can stand on the arms of the Willamsburg bridge screaming, "Hey man, this is Babylon."

PH,

Go out and buy all of these right now.

Red,

A genius can dream, can't he?

Flann,

Can I get a what-what?

=EG

WendyB said...

I like Combat Rock too, dammit.

Evil Genius said...

Combat Rock is officially endorsed by √úberchic Wendy B and the Evil Genius (Coolest Man in America 1997-2006.) Pick up your copy today!

surviving myself said...

No ABBA????

Evil Genius said...

Nope. Benny and Bjorn forbade me from adding any of their discs. Though there is the Erasure "Abbaesque" loophole they forget to close!