Friday, August 08, 2008

Notes on Americana

Even though Coney Island's Astroland amusement park will be closing at the end of this summer to be torn down and totally rebuilt, there is no need to plan a rush trip to NY, NY just to get in one last/first ride in on the Cyclone as I was thinking of doing. Though the park has been sold, the original owners will maintain control of this historic landmark roller coaster.

Other things I would like to see put on the national register:
  • Childhood home of Beatrice Arthur.
  • That place that makes those awesome funnel cakes. I can't remember what it was called. You know, the place we went to that one night we got really drunk after finals?
  • The backseat of my 1996 Honda Civic EX.
  • The front seats, too, now that I think about it.
  • The ozone layer.
  • J.C. Penney store #312.
  • Ohio.
  • Site of the firing of the first potato canon.
  • U.S.S. Constitution.

12 comments:

Red said...

Come over and see me sometime, EG. We'll make the Jeep a classic ;)

Doc said...

You mean to tell me Ohio isn't on the National Register? This is the birthplace of a slew of Presidents, the Wright Brothers, Clark Gable, and football for pete's sake! What more do they want?

Doc

SkylersDad said...

No love for the worlds largest ball of string?

Evil Genius said...

Red: I'd like to [This comment has been expurgated by Blogger. Please report any obscene or offensive material to www.Blogger.com.] but of course I'd never touch the emergency brake after that! ;)

Doc: I think people are still bitter about that period in the 80's when the state legislature adopted Marxism when the Cold War was in full swing. No one expected an East Bloc nation to pop up on the shores of a great lake.

Skyler's Dad: I totally meant to include that. I also left off the series of commemorative plaques noting "Ray Davies shat here."

Grant Miller said...

The Penney's store kicks ass.

BeckEye said...

Also, they said that the park's last summer was to have been LAST summer. Everything is still in place, though. Except for a few of my vertebrae, from the last time I rode the Cyclone.

Leonesse said...

When did you get back to blogging EEG? Did you leave the argyle factory of your own accord, or did security have to be involved?

lulu said...

I went to Coney Island this summer, but didn't ride the Cyclone, because rides like that make me sick to my stomach. I did write about it on my blog, if you're still reading it.....

Evil Genius said...

Grant: That's what I'm Sayin'!

Bexeye: If this is a clever marketing ploy, it is working... on me at least.

Leonesse: The argyle factory was a wonderful place! Like Willy Wonka's, but with more Scotsman. So, yes. Security was involved.

Lulu: I'm barely reading any blogs these days. I am slowly becoming a hermit online, as well is an real life.

pistols at dawn said...

That backseat has seen some things, man. I wish I could offer it a two-book deal.

Doc said...

I just noticed the new heading, "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

For what it's worth, I've always believed in you, you rascal.

Doc

Evil Genius said...

Pistols: There would be a couple of interesting chapters, but a lot of filler. Kind of like the Bible.

Doc: Ready my command ship!