Monday, September 15, 2008

She's Baaa-aack

I have returned from Chicago, which I've really gotten to like. Sadly, it was raining during pretty much all of the limited time when I actually got to leave my hotel. On the upside, that hotel was the Hyatt Regency Chicago, which really isn't bad, and I got fresh pineapple every single day, twice if I wanted it. The Hyatt is on E. Wacker, which while I was there looked something like this photo.

I worked registration at this shindig (my company's annual meeting), which meant that almost everyone who came to the conference graced my presence, at least briefly. Men my father's age as well as men old enough to be my grandfather flirted with me left and right. A few members, also in that demo, stopped by just to thank me for some way in which I helped them out during the registration process before the conference. Nice to be appreciated. Thought I'd share with you my favorite thoughts that I couldn't share at the time:

#1, to our incoming association president, a wiry, salt and pepper haired denizen of Minnesota in his 40s: "Gee, [Alex], I know full well you're probably still the persnickety, high-maintenance pain in the ass you've always been, but you really don't look it with that goatee."

#2, to the youngish, attractive-but-not-my-type guy who gave me his card "just in case I needed anything.": "Are those plugs?"

Which also caused me to reflect, not for the first time, that not everyone can pull off the shaved head look as well as the Genius, on whom it really works. Glad to see he missed me :^) Lord knows I missed him!

Been a while since we had a West Wing quote 'round here, so I leave you with this one.
President Bartlet
What is it with people from Chicago that they're so
happy to have been born there? I meet so many
people who can't wait to tell me they're from
Chicago, and when I meet them, they're living
anywhere but Chicago.

LEO
You wouldn't understand.

10 comments:

lulu said...

I love being from Chicago, and even though I live far far away, it's still my home.

Glad you had a good, though rainy visit.

Gnugs said...

Good to have you back, Lady.

McGone said...

You really did manage to be here (or "here-ish" in my case) during one of the wettest weekends in recent memory. On behalf of Chicago, I apologize for the crappy weather.

Grant Miller said...

Thanks for all your help during the registration process.

Blowing Shit Up With Gas said...

Funny, I think Evil G. was on "Wacker" too (well, figuratively, anyway).

philips poy said...

My Secret Affair, Casual Dating, Extramarital Affairs, Illicit Affair, Casual Sex, Illicit Dating

My Secret Affair,Casual Dating, Extramarital Affairs, Illicit Affair,Casual Sex, Illicit Dating, My secret affair is a discreet extra-marital online dating service for women and men in UK.

http://mysecretaffair.com/

SkylersDad said...

Nice to have you back! And which is it by the way, the city of big shoulders, or the windy city? And how come they get two nicknames?

Red said...

Thanks, everybody! What's up with this Phillips guy? That's just sad/despicable.

SD, as you may know, despite the fact that Chicago gets some cruel wind (my umbrella was toast before I left), the nickname "Windy City" actually refers to the talkative tendencies of its residents. I don't know about the big shoulders thing.

pistols at dawn said...

Ha ha ha ha! E. Wacker!

I am sooooo childish.

Leonesse said...

How many were pure douchebags?