Wednesday, October 08, 2008

"It Sucks to Be Me"



Today is one of those days where I need to remind myself that I'm (relatively) healthy, my car is running, I've got a great boyfriend, a great family, etc. I need to remind myself of all that's good in my life, because, it's undeniable, there are some things going on now that SUCK! In no particular order

  • They are working on lots of the streets around my house, so parking is an absolute nightmare.
  • The week before Labor Day, my roommate found bed bugs in my apartment. We did all the rigamarole that you do to prep for the exterminator, and they did the treatment and the follow up two weeks later. That was almost two weeks ago. This morning, I woke up with about a dozen bed bug bites, which is about 3x as many as I've had at any other point in this infestation.
  • I don't really like my job that much, so I've started looking for a new one. But I don't have that much time to look and the economy's shitty, so I could be at my job a while longer.
  • Huh. That's actually all I can think of right now. But the twelve itchy bites on my legs make it seem worse.
So being me, I feel compelled to look at the flip sides of those coins:
  • I have a good, reliable, relatively fuel-efficient car with which to hunt for parking. Plus, the signs say this will be all over Oct. 20.
  • Bed bugs, while horrendously inconvenient, are not poisonous or life threatening. I mean, it could be scorpions or something, right? Also, I haven't put most things in my apartment back together, so getting ready for the exterminator will be easier this time around.
  • I HAVE a job, which is something to be thankful for in this economy.
  • If that's all I can think of right now, I should count myself among the lucky ones.
And I do.

6 comments:

j said...

Sending you some cheer.... since I can't really send you a martini. :)

SkylersDad said...

Wish I could give you a warm fuzzy, but hugs across the wires is about all I can offer.
Hang in there, my friend says the Universe is self-correcting.

pistols at dawn said...

There actually are bed bugs? I could have sworn that was just something we told children to terrify them.

Red said...

"As you know, I have a gigantic heart. So, why don't I have a boyfriend? Fuck! It sucks to be me!" Truer words, Kate Monster, have never been spoken.

Sorry about the bed bugs, lovely. I hope they are delt with swiftly.

And, I love that EG has "Red" as one of the reasons he's not sticking his head in an oven. That's really sweet.

Red said...

J & SD,

Thanks! You're sweet.

P@D,

Oh, they exist. Apparently they're a national epidemic. Some friends live in a nice building on the Upper West Side and _they_ had them.

Red,

It made me quite happy when I noticed that. He is very sweet indeed.

Leonesse said...

Oh, but it's hard when there isn't much on the flip side. I still feel like I am on the curb where Skylarsdad left me.