Monday, November 24, 2008

It's dark in here...

When Red and EG left, they turned off the electricity so it's been pretty tricky trying to figure out what to do. Fortunately, I keep a flashlight in my tool box. Flicking on my dim bulb, I fumble around the draft pile trying to find an idea. I take in shadows and shades, diamond-patterned and cross-hatched, falling across back-issues of Popular Mechanics and worn out VHS copies of Nova. It's all very abstract and evil but I need something solid to go with.

Walking away from the draft pile, I scan the room and find a crumpled up piece of paper stuck to the corner of the fish tank. I pull it out and flatten it. It's the WILATU list. I suppose I could tackle what's left, I think as I make my way to the kitchen. I snag a Guinness from the fridge and return to the main room to curl up in the poang and think.

What is left? Coffee...I'll leave that one. I'm not a fan myself. CD's...obsolete...next! Movies...maybe. Cartoons...maybe...people who still drive station wagons...that might be interesting. I think I'll need another Guinness before I decide. Which would you prefer I do?

"Why are you asking them?" Pickles the duck asks as he light up a cigarette.

"Oh, goody; you're here," I reply, darkly.

"No really...why can't you just pick something and write about it...are you chicken?"

"No."

"Then, pick something, dammit! I'm not getting any younger..."

I close my eyes and drop my finger on the list.

"Number thirty-one: Singularities. Great. Now I'm going to have to learn something."

"It'll give you character. I'm outty...do you need anything from Loews?" he asks.

"One construction pencil and a trouble light and a small generator."

"You got it, toots," he says as he slams the door behind me. Oh sh*t; he has grabbed my keys.

7 comments:

SkylersDad said...

Pickles the Duck out cruising in the Flan-mobile. Why do I think this will end somewhat like Blues Brothers?

pistols at dawn said...

That was a bold choice. I would have made fun of some terrible magazine I saw once called "Naked Singularity," because all I really have is a memory and a yen for mockery.

Red said...

You're lucky, Pistols. All I've got is my thermos and my story. Nice post, Flan.

Leonesse said...

Thank you. I needed that.

Grant Miller said...

Mind if I grab some of his old CDs?

katrocket said...

I wish someone would call me "Toots". *sigh*

Flannery Alden said...

Skylers Dad,

I fear you may be correct.

Pistols,

I share your yen for mockery. I'm still trying to figure out what a Singularity is, though; I'm not sure I could handle a naked one.

Red,

Thanks! Can I borrow that thermos?

Leonesse,

Glad to be of service.

Grant Miller,

Help yourself!

Katrocket,

You got it, toots!