Friday, December 26, 2008

WILATU: The GKL Version

When contemplating the statement before this blog, I've finally come to an answer:

Dandelions.

Dandelions are what I like about the Universe because they can speckle an otherwise unappealing hillside with bright yellow sun bursts. In one of the best, two-fold effects orchestrated by nature that I know, aside from that caterpillar-butterfly thing, they offer another brilliance before they lie dormant. They turn into a cotton lollipop of sorts, that begs to be blown away. The florets, like Charlotte's million baby spiders, parachute off into the wind to start their own clan.

But there is more to the dandelion than those Ansel Adams moments. Dante de lion, or "teeth of the lion" as the name originates, reminds us that they can also be pesky weeds that are as persistent as cock roaches, unwanted in your garden or perfectly manicured lawn. It is this dual personality that makes me love the dandelion, for I believe in all the yin-yangs of the Universe. To put it in rock and roll astronaut lingo: "For every action, there is an equal an opposite reaction."

At this moment, somewhere in the world, someone is saying, "Aw, look at the gorgeous dandelions!" just as someone somewhere else is saying, "For Christ's sake, how do I get rid of these muthafuckin dandelions?!"

Beautiful, ain't it?

Please understand readers, and I do apologize for not spouting off the normal things that I like most about the Universe, because it's painfully obvious and repetitive. But instead, help me celebrate the dandelion, or the evil genius in all of us.

6 comments:

SkylersDad said...

That was beautiful Kristi. Nice work!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I love spreading the dandelion spores so that more dandelions grow everywhere.

Red said...

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with the yin-yang thing. Nice, Kristi.

Doc said...

They also make for a great salad! Nice post dear.

Doc

Lulu LaBonne said...

And I always thought the dents de lion thing referred to the shape of the leaves, they are good in salads but I guess you know why they are also called pissenlit.

Leonesse said...

I, too, share the love/hate conundrum. Beautiful post.