Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Shane! Come back, Shane!

I know it is a little late for a St. Patrick's Day post, but this is only tangentially related (from my perspective.) On Monday it was two years to the day from when I was originally supposed to see The Pogues with my buddy Jean Luc. Long story short, I wrecked my car and never made it to the show.

Red, being the wonderfully awesome girlfriend that she is, scored me two tickets to The Pogues show which she presented to me as a St. Valentine's Day present. She also insisted that I give Jean Luc right of first refusal. He more than happily hopped a flight down from Chicago and joined me.

The show was at the 9:30 Club where we staked out a good spot on the balcony level away from the mosh pit. Yes, there actually was moshing albeit very subdued. We suffered through a less than stellar opening act before The Pogues made their usual entrance to "Straight to Hell."

It is common knowledge that Shane McGowan is a drunken shell of a man who requires several handlers. They played two instrumentals and one of the songs they recorded without him during the many times he wander off stage to "fuel up" again. He has very few if any teeth left which combined with his drunken slur, Irish brogue, and inherent growl meant that if you didn't know the words, you weren't figuring them out that night.

The show was fun. High energy. The acordian player did a few power slides! Here is the set list as I remember it:

  • Streams of Whiskey
  • gringle ber dunnyah
  • If I Should Fall from Grace with God
  • Dirty Old Town
  • blah spit mumble growl
  • Summer in Siam
  • A Pair of Brown Eyes
  • -instrumental-
  • feck yeh feck blurger
  • olm muh stunny day
  • tippy tie on ma kappa town
  • Thousands Are Sailing
  • blurgh blurgh blurgh
  • Bottle of Smoke
  • -instrumental-
  • mumble
  • mumbley oh mumbley
  • Sayonora
  • slersh mumbley blurg
  • Tuesday Morning (Spider Stacy on vocal)
  • whiskey mumble
  • mumble love
  • A Rainy Night in Soho
  • mumble river
  • mumble America mumble
  • [encore]
  • blah merg mumble bones
  • feck mumble broken heart
  • Fiesta!

I was disapointed they didn't play "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" but I didn't have high hopes that they would. It was tough not being able to have a pint, but it was a surprisingly fun night even sober.

The end.

8 comments:

BeckEye said...

Feck Yeh Feck Burger is an underrated classic.

I never get to see The Pogues. Every year, around St. Patrick's Day, they play about 4 shows in NYC and they all sell out immediately.

FranIAm said...

I have never seen them live, but maybe it is better that way.

That voice!
Those teeth!

Red said...

He bears a striking resemblance to my first tour partner, who was a pretty serious drunk. He had all his teeth, though. Probably still does.

SkylersDad said...

The story was wonderful, but the tag of British Dental Care made me spit stuff.

Whiskeymarie said...

Sober isn't a bad thing if Shane McGowan is the poster boy for drunkery.

I can't believe that I've never seen them live. huh.

Anonymous said...

I had to let the small community know that the show was everything I hoped for. It was a great concert by a great band with a phenomenal lyricist. Although I went a little hoarse, I enjoyed singing as many lyrics as I could remember (I remember quite a few). I would go see them again in a second. Thank you Red, thank you EG,

Jean Luc

Bubs said...

Brilliant! I haven't seen the Pogues since Joe Strummer toured with them--I'm daunted by the spectacle of Shane that you describe so well...

Dale said...

I saw them many years ago and Shane was no less coherent then. Glad you finally got to sink your teeth into him.