Monday, April 27, 2009

You Guys ARE the Best


As you guys know 'cause EG and I have been talking about it for a month and a half, Walk MS 2009 was this past Saturday. Since this is a walk to raise awareness as well as funds, participants were asked to deck out in bright orange. This is typically NOT a color I don, so we hit the mall Friday night to pick up some appropriate gear. (I'm happy to say the dress was only $10.) If you raised $500 or more, you got the long sleeved T-shirt that you see EG sporting in the photo. I gave it to him, both because I never could have walked 5K without him, and also because I raised a total of $1650 for the National MS Society, and a lot of that was with the help of me darlin' man.

The WILATU community, led by Wendy Brandes*, raised $500! A big thanks to all those who contributed to that total, including:
I also thank those of you who expressed moral support. I don't single out those who gave to make anyone who didn't feel bad, but rather because I am touched and humbled by the kindness of these folks, 2/3 of whom have never met either of us offline.

Thanks also to Pezda, Robin and Kylie, who are our friends IRL and therefore not counted as part of the blog friends total, but they all stop by here from time to time, so I wanted to include them in the thanks list. (Also my brothers; Brother #2 stops by here sometimes and getting anything at all from a broke grad student is very sweet.)

As I indicated at the top, I couldn't even have finished the walk without the Evil Genius. It took us (because of me) about 2.5 hours to walk 5K. He stopped for the frequent breaks I needed, gave me an arm the whole time and just generally had the patience of a saint. He didn't actually pick me up and carry me until I crossed the finish line (at which point he scooped me up, deposited me in some shade, got me water and then hit the ATM so we could grab a cab home), but he would have if I asked him to. My hero! He also made a nice contribution to the walk and is always, always there when I need him. I try to let you know how much I appreciate it, Honey. I really hope you do.

Thanks again, all of you. You guys are the best.

*Make sure to check her out if you're in the market for fine jewelry, men's or women's.

9 comments:

McGone said...

Awesome job, you guys. You raised awareness and did it quite fashionably. From here on out whenever I picture Red, it will always be with that hat.

Evil Genius said...

There is no question that the hat is fabulous. I could never hope to compete with the hat. But I am disappointed there was no mention of my new orange shoes.

Red said...

I meant to include the picture of the shoes, but I was having trouble getting the layout the way I wanted it, I wanted to have the post ready for today and it was midnight. The shoes are great.

pistols at dawn said...

Well done to ye both. Go team!

Suze said...

I giving you both a standing ovation. Great job!!!

GETkristiLOVE said...

Oh dang, sorry I missed it. I've been a bad blogger lately. I would have contributed for sure... oh, and happy belated birthday too!

robin said...

So proud of you, Erin. (For the walk, not for wearing orange. Though the $10 dress is lucky to have you.)

Le Meems said...

Blog Communities are so Supportive. Strangers rock. Giving is the BEST.

WendyB said...

Congrats on your walk, fund-raising and successful acquisition of an orange dress!