Wednesday, July 01, 2009

And Here's Number Three

Karl Malden died today. He was 97, so unlike the other two recent celebrity deaths, this was neither unexpected nor tragic. But just in case you didn't know, Karl Malden was way cool. The above pic is from A Streetcar Named Desire, for which he won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar(TM) in 1952. The fun thing about seeing Streetcar for me was that I'd already seen him in Gypsy and Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind, so watching them together, in roles similar to those I knew them for, was kind of like Scarlet O'Hara meets Herbie. Fun, if more than a little surreal. Other Red may be the only one who knows what I'm talking about, but whatevs.

Click here to read his obit in the NYT and here to see his credits on imdb. Rest in peace, Karl Malden. You did good work.

[Note: EG pointed put that Mr. Malden was actually #5. I didn't mean to dis Ed McMahon or Pittsburgh's own Billy Mays.}

2 comments:

SkylersDad said...

Seemed like a down to earth kind of guy, one who you could sit and have a beer with.

Doc said...

I liked him in everything of his that I have ever seen.

Doc