Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sometimes I Am a Dummy. Fortunately, I Have a Great Boyfriend.

I saw Spring Awakening at the Kennedy Center tonight. (I really liked it, despite some minor artistic quibbles, but that's not what this post is about.) DC, as any of you who have experienced it can attest, isn't that easy to navigate and the area around the Kennedy Center is like the rest of DC, only more so. So I got twisted around on my way there, at one point ending up on I-66 going toward Virginia, but eventually figuring out where I was going. Coming off the highway I spied a parking space near the Watergate and nabbed it.

I considered parking in the Kennedy Center garage, but that costs $15. I realized I only had ten and no real way to hit an ATM. Did they take credit cards? Who knows? So I nabbed this parking space. Lucky thing, too, because between my car and the Kennedy Center I didn't see another one. I'm a reasonably punctual gal in general, but I am almost always early for the theatre. First of all, my ticket was at Will Call. What if there was a line? Secondly, I didn't want to miss anything and third, I hate it when other people are late for the theatre and they have to climb over me. I will not be one of those people.

So the show starts at 7:30 (on time - go Kennedy Center) and wraps up about 9:45. I attempt to get back to my car but take a wrong turn somewhere. To make matters worse, I don't have an intersection. I know where it is in relation to the Watergate, but after wandering around for 20 minutes I'm really lost. To make matters worse, today was the hottest day we've had all summer, and when it's hot, I don't walk very well. (Another reason I meant to park in the garage; I literally can't run to save my life and it's a good neighborhood but you never know.) So I inquire from a group of folks if they're students at GW because I remembered a building with that on it. A thin, 3oish black man named Malcolm tells me that he's a student at Georgetown but he's on his way to a metro stationh that's right by the hospital, which is the building he thinks I'm looking for because it's made of glass. But when we get there, I'm no better oriented than I was and I've really walked abut as far as I can. Malcolm lets me use his phone (did I mention that I forgot mine today?) and I call the Evil Genius, who is really the best guy I've ever known. I tell him where I am and explain the situation, and he comes to get me. (I later found out he was already asleep when I called a little before 10:30; he had a really late night on Monday.)

GW Hospital isn't that close to Bethesda, so I probably waited about half an hour, maybe a little more. EG rolls up in the Jeep and is very patient while we drive around for probably fifteen or twenty minutes trying to figure this out. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see my car.

When I thanked him profusely and kissed him goodbye, that was when he mentioned that he had actually been asleep when I called. EG, I'm sorry for getting you out of bed and I really, really, really appreciate you being there when I needed you. Just like always.

8 comments:

Some Guy said...

I don't know, but with an act of kindness like that he just might lose his evil status.

Evil Evil Genius said...

There will be no loss of evil status when you are watching CNN tonight and hear something along these lines:

"DC area man calls 911 on himself after murdering his own girlfriend. His defense lawyers are confident he will walk on a justifiable homicide plea."

SkylersDad said...

Don't worry EG, if you get a man for a judge, he will just nod knowingly and let you walk on that homicide rap.

Red said...

Dammit, SkyDad, I thought we were friends!

Doesn't Facebook mean anything anymore?

McGone said...

DC is hard to get around? Whatever, I don't believe you. I watched "24" last season. jack Bauer had absolutely no problem getting from point A to Point Z in the span of one commercial break.

You don't think Jack Bauer would lie to me, do you?

Suze said...

Aw, that Evil Genius can sometimes be just a "kind of evil" Genius. I knew it! Also, if you kept driving to Virginia, I would've picked you up :)

Unindicted Co-Conspirator said...

Your post made me remember that I was stuck in post-event gridlock in the Kennedy Center garage when Henry K told us we'd won the Viet Nam War. No clue what we saw.

Catherinette said...

Aw, that is really sweet of him!!!

Do you think he'd pick me up if I called?