Saturday, October 10, 2009

Life Imitates Art

TOBY
They know it was on course traveling at a rate of 15,400 miles
per hour, which it was supposed to. Somewhere during its
descent it was also supposed to release two probes -- each
about the size of a basketball -- firing them deep into the
ground as part of the mission's search for evidence of water
under surface.

JOSH
We think if we hit the ground hard enough, we can make it
to the center of the planet and find water?

TOBY
Yeah.

JOSH
That's not a theory of physics pretty much disproved by Wile E. Coyote?

-The West Wing, "Galileo", 2.8

I'm not that into space (as evidenced by the fact that in my Manhattan days, I once shared -- shared -- a 300 sq ft apartment). EG is the rock and roll astronaut around here. But I have gotten into the habit of listening to NPR's "Morning Edition" on my way to work, and so became aware of this story.

That's pretty much all there is to say about that, but while looking up the dialogue at the top, I stumbled onto a West Wing site that I'd never seen before. First of all, they not only have transcripts of most episodes (complete seasons for the first four years, after which it doesn't matter that much) but they have a search function where you can type in a word or words and it will tell you what episode it's from and then you could click the link and go to the episode and find the specific quote. It took me less than five minutes to find the beginning of this post.

I am, to a large extent, what used to be known (and probably still is in certain circles) as a "Wing nut." I've seen every episode of the seasons Aaron Sorkin wrote at least a half dozen times. I didn't get a converter or whatever for digital TV and haven't had cable in years, so I've actually been watching them again when I don't have anything from Netflix. EG is going to lend me Twin Peaks to mitigate the insanity.

But finding this site shows the Internet at its most reassuring. 'Cause you may think you're obsessed with something and realize that maybe it's a little weird, but here on the glorious interweb, there's always someone weirder than you.

That makes me smile. I feel better now. How about you guys?

2 comments:

SkylersDad said...

I share your love of West Wing. It is still one of my all time favorites.

BeckEye said...

I've never watched The West Wing, but they need that kind of search function for every TV show. Well, except for maybe Family Matters and Full House.