Saturday, December 19, 2009

Happy Holidays!


I love this time of year. And I love listening to Christmas music. (Though I strenuously object to hearing it prior to the day after Thanksgiving. There are rules, people!) Amazon .mp3 is currently offering my life-long favorite Christmas album for the low, low price of just $5. John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together was a TV special when I was a little kid. (I've always been a big Muppet fan; not sure if that's ever come up in this space before.) No DVD of the special is available, as far as I can tell, and I confess I don't remember it. But I originally had this on LP, then cassette, then CD and it's on my iPod. So I don't need the .mp3. If any of you don't have it, it's well worth the fiver. It has a nice blend of classics, from "Deck the Halls" and "Silent Night," complete with a version in German and an explanation of its genesis, at least one newer tune ("Little Saint Nick," done as only Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem can) and a couple of Christmas songs that don't exist anywhere else but are quite nice. Really, the first track is "The Twelve Days of Christmas" as performed by this gang. Miss Piggy on the "Five Gold Rings" verse is only trumped by Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker doing "Nine Ladies Dancing."

The Amazon MP3 thing is a good deal. Every month they have an offering of 50 albums for $5 and EG and I have picked up some good stuff. This month, perhaps in honor of the holidays, they're offering 100 albums for $5. So even if, for reasons passing understanding, the Muppets aren't quite your cup of tea, it's quite possible something else on the list is. Merry, Merry Christmas, gang! I hope it's wonderful for all of you and yours.

6 comments:

SkylersDad said...

Thanks for the tip Red, and I remember that album well. I lost it long ago, I should look for the music sometime. I was, and still am, a big John Denver fan. I saw him 3 times here, and his concert at Red Rocks was exceptional!

Fran said...

John Denver and the Muppets! As a bit older person than you I recall this, but had forgotten it. Thanks for bringing it back!

Evil Genius said...

Red and I saw Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas at the American Film Institute today. She had never seen it, and I haven't seen it since it aired. There has never been a VHS or DVD release, so I was thrilled to see it again and actually happy that Red was able to see it.

I have been so happy this weekend that the Evil League of Evil has stipped my of one of my "evils."

BeckEye said...

I don't have this Muppets CD but I own Emmett Otter on DVD. The Riverbottom Nightmare Band is just about the greatest thing ever.

Also, I pretty much exclusively buy mp3s from Amazon now. I gave up on iTunes when they still had DRM on every song, and even now that they've removed it, I still use Amazon. They give occasional promo coupons/certificates when you buy a lost of music. I don't think iTunes has ever done that.

Suze said...

Happy Holidays Red and Evil G.

Dale said...

Have the merriest of holidays youse guys.