Monday, March 08, 2010

"Hoping very much that there will never come a year when I can't."

Last year I told you in this post about being diagnosed with MS. The full quote above was,"I'm so damn happy that I can still walk that I plan to do this every year I'm able. Hoping very much that there will never come a year when I'm not." But as I said in this post, the walk was a lot harder than I thought it would be last year. These days, I often need a cane when I'm not getting around my apartment or office. It just doesn't seem like attempting to walk 3 miles would be smart. So EG is walking for me. You can sponsor him here.

Last year, the WILATU community raised a total of $500! Thanks to all of you who helped us last year. Whether you were on that list or not, please consider making a contribution this year. Exciting things are happening in MS research. Within the last few weeks, the FDA has approved the first drug ever developed specifically to treat a symptom of MS. It's called Ampriva, and it's helping some MS patients to walk better. I haven't gotten to try it yet, but I've been in touch with my doctor and I expect to try it soon. Also, soon after the walk last year, I had two episodes pretty much back to back. (Perhaps you remember the eye patch photo?) So in October, I started taking different meds. I need to go to a doctor's office once every four weeks to get them, but two out of three people on this drug don't have episodes while they're on it. This drug is also pretty new - it's only been around since 2006 or 2007. So I feel pretty motivated to keep raising money for the MS society, which helps fund promising research projects for new, even better drugs. And one day, if we're lucky, there will be a cure.

Any contribution you can make is welcome and appreciated. Thanks much for your consideration.

4 comments:

McGone said...

I had to laugh at the "Stumbly McFalldown" tag.

What's the date of the walk?

Red said...

EG came up with that nickname for me for the walk last year. It amuses me.

The walk is April 17.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BeckEye said...

Stumbly McFalldown is pretty awesome.

Good luck on the walk. I'm kind of out of work right now, but will try to donate even a small bit. Every little bit helps, I guess. The blogosphere was really awesome when I did last year's AIDS walk, helping me raise over $700. Amazing!