Monday, August 16, 2010

2010 Shakespeare Film Festival

4. Kenneth Branagh's "Henry V"

EG - OK, this was my big winner that I couldn't wait for Red to see. About 10 minutes in we were both getting bored. There are absolutely no orcs in this film! I think I may have been thinking of the wrong movie.

I'll tell you what it does have:

  • A motivational speech that would make Tony Robbins feel like he has been wasting his life.
  • A perfect vehicle for getting stunning actress Emma Thompson to marry a schlubby looking director.
  • The best medieval battle commited to celluloid.
  • And an impossibly young Christian Bale in the role of the aptly named "Boy."
Would I recommend you watch this? Frankly, n0. Don't bother. Just wait till next year for what surely will be Branagh's magnum opus - Thor! As for Henry V, I give it 3.5 jester skulls.



Red - You can't go to school for acting and not get to know this play. "O, for a muse of fire that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention..." The prologues are amazing. The parts in between the prologues occasionally get dull, but I found the pacing generally good.

Branagh is quite good in the title role. I totally buy that the former party guy has grown into a king. He has some very human moments throughout the film, as well as times where he knows he has to be a king and steps up. He also did a helluva job directing.

The young Christian Bale is a treat. The scene between Branagh and his future missus is nice indeed. I'll second what EG says about the battles, because he watched them and I didn't.

I was terribly remiss in posting this, so it's not as clear in my mind as I'd like, but I'm going to echo EG's 3.5 Yoricks.

5 comments:

SkylersDad said...

Any chance that some of this is out there on ye olde youtubes?

Red said...

There's always a chance, but don't you have Netflix?

Anonymous said...

wow gotta love that

Anonymous said...

Comments finally working:)

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you've put in writing this blog. I am hoping the same high-grade site post from you in the upcoming as well. Actually your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own website now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up is a good example of it.