Monday, March 18, 2013

WILATU # 79 - being Catholic

Hey, this is a good time to roll this one out. It has been sitting in my draft box forever. The original first line was "I have to credit FranIam for inspiring this post." I will still give her credit, though at this point I have no idea what did inspire it.

I was born Catholic, but I remember taking my confirmation very seriously. This was my chance to back out. I started looking at Taoism, Buddhism, Judaism, and even gave a little thought to LDS (I was like what, 15?) But the essence of community was the initial draw for me. There was no way I was going to roll out my prayer mat and face Mecca while the rest of my family went off to church. And miss the pancake breakfast?

My friends were all starting to get into Eastern religions, but it was just a trendy fashion for them. And a way to rebel against their families. I imaged some teenager over in Asia converting to Catholicism in a similar rebellion.

Plus we have the Pope-mobile! So until the Dali Lama gets an invisible jet, or the Archbishop of Canterbury starts zipping around the English Channel in a hydrofoil, I am sticking with the Holy See.

I really don't know much about the new guy, but as I told my mom the other day "He is a Jesuit. This should be interesting." I then clarified to her as I will clarify to you - I do not mean that as good or bad, just that this will literally be interesting.

Namaste. 

6 comments:

Fran said...

I'm not sure what I said or did, but hey, I'll take the credit! That blog does not really exist any more though; another chapter of life! In any case, I hope that I am never preachy.

The new guy, I think he's going to be good. Better than we've had.

I personally think that being Catholic is in your bones; you can leave the church, but it never leaves you.

SkylersDad said...

My mom tried to raise me to be a good catholic boy, but I had too many questions. She finally gave up.

I hope this pope does something cool, like put some 20's on the popemobile!

Evil Genius said...

Nice to see some people still have me on their Reader. Thanks, guys.

Evil Genius said...

There is a paragraph I wanted to add between the third and fourth. I could keep amending this post ad infinitum, so I am just going to throw it in here to avoid unending re-writes:

I had a pre-Life-of-Pi revelation back then that truth is truth. Which was a pretty profound thought for younger me to have. At least I thought it was until I remembered that same line was also used in Enemy Mine - never sell short the deep philosophical musings of Louis Gosset, Jr. in full alien make-up. You would think the stainless steel crucifix I wear on a heavy gauge snake chain would remind me of that.

Fran said...

We all need reminders of the reminders, Evil Genius.

As for Sklyer's Dad, Chris, I'm sorry that you felt like you had too many questions, but I understand that entirely. The problem so often is that it *is* a church of questions, and those questions should not be discouraged, but they have been for so long. If you ask me, you actually are a *good* Catholic boy, but hey, that's just me. I see more of that in you and in your family's life, that I know of online. Very Catholic and catholic indeed, in a most profoundly beautiful way.

Be who you are...

Red said...

Again, I'm looking for the "like" button on Fran's comment. I second what she said about Catholic and catholic.