Sunday, July 28, 2013

WILATU #20 - being up before most of the world

The Destruct-oPup woke me up at 5:30 this AM. A marked improvement over 4:00 AM yesterday. The cause of her incessant plaintive wailing was not an immediate need to spread her joy all over the neighbors lawn, but rather a Scooby Snack left in tantalizing proximity to her crate.

Being up early is not new to me. I have been on the crew team, I attended a military academy, and I have been stuck on crap watches on boats and ships.

Waiting for the fuel truck in the darkest of the wee hours I have learned that it is not always darkest before the dawn, but there is an unusual phenomenon where it is always coldest before the dawn. Then the predawn hits. To me that is cooler than the actual sunrise. The black starts to fade out like twilight in reverse. You can sense it happening like a person sneaking up behind you.

This is by no means meant to imply my advocating anyone go out and try this. Quite the opposite in fact - I urge you to sleep as late as you can as often as you can. And if there never comes a day when you have to be awake at an hour you never realized had an Ante Meridian option, you will still lead a full life.

1 comment:

SkylersDad said...

I seem to have always had to be up early in my lifetime, so my biological rhythm is set that way now. 6AM is the max I have slept in for about 25 years now.

I agree with you about the predawn time, I find it to be beautiful.